Shilp (Craft) Khel (Game) is an alternative education project that integrates craft & game processes to design an experiential environment for kids to nourish the self-directed learner in them. An inclusive activity spaces is being created for children where they can explore their deeper interest and unique potential (as an individual) and easily develop an art of working in collaboration with others.
Joy, Compassion & Inclusiveness are our core values.
Art & Play Activities with Kids at Chirag School
“The winner sows hatred, the loser suffers. Let go of winning and losing and find joy.” ~ The Buddha Dhammapada
To observe, understand, acknowledge and nourish innate qualities and natural abilities of children is more important than to teach or dictate them anything. There is a lot (for us) to learn from children, (from us) they simply need an encouraging as well as an adventurous environment to explore and evolve their inmost being through various creative ways of learning.
In whatever culture we grow, an appreciable part of our life’s learning has been in childhood through plays, frolicking around and being engaged in simple games. Later in our lives we actualize the experience of our subconscious being.
The kind of experiments we do, environment we experience, stories we hear or the games we play in childhood, nourish a lot of qualities and values and in us. Every activity we do or engage in, blossoms our inner potential, creative thinking, innovative power and holistic understanding.
The purpose of Shilp Khel is to create ample learning opportunities for kids through various art & play activities.
At all levels (physical, mental, emotional and spiritual); Playing inculcates therapeutic effects upon us. Freedom in playing games and creating art helps children to discover their real interest, ideas, dreams and skills that they further enjoy to grow with their full potential.
The purpose of creating an open-ended art & flexible game space is to encourage and appreciate the natural learning flow of children and to make their learning a joyous discovery.
Children are allowed to loosen up, play freely, share knowledge, exchange ideas and skills to manifest their journeys in their own way and at their own pace.
The (experiential) engagement in the process is much more importance than expecting any specific result.
1. Experiential Learning: Observe – Experience – Think – Discover – Analyze – Organize – Imagine – Invent – Evolve – Create – Express & Reflect.
2. Freedom in Exploration of Ideas, Skills and Knowledge.
3. Growth through all Learning Modalities: Visual (seeing) – Auditory (hearing) – Kinesthetic (moving) – Tactile (touching) at all levels (Physical, Mental, Emotional & Spiritual).
4. To acknowledge their Inherent Qualities & appreciate Interpersonal & Intrapersonal Intelligence.
5. To encourage their Independent Thinking, Self-Directed Learning & Leading Abilities. The ability to make their own choices & decisions without any imposition or pressure of others.
To encourage children to delve independently in the activities of their choice, so that they can freely explore and understand their own nature, expressions, capacities and challenges in their work processes.
To encourage children to work with a collaborative spirit in a group to learn, exchange and co-create ideas, skills and knowledge for the growth of all.
- Spontaneous Exercises and Plays: Direct Encounter with uncertain life situations.
- Interactions, Storytelling & Conversations with kids in the context of their learning objectives.
- Introducing Activities & Explaining flexible work processes.
- Experimentation & Creative Challenges: Breaking Steps & Creating new learning patterns.
- Contextual Exposure after initial rounds of their own experiential/imaginative exploration.
- Integrated (Multi-layered) Work Processes: Activities within Activities.
- Asking Relevant Questions & synchronizing with their flow of explorations.
- Reflection, Self-Observation & Introspection.
- Self-Assessment & Self Remarks: To help them understand what qualities and strength they have and what improvement they need.
- Active Physical Plays: experiential
- Craft Process in Plays: imaginative & creative
- Multi Dimensional Plays: sensing and intuition
- Values in Play: trust, care & collaboration
Activity 1: Nature Art.
Using different kind of Natural Elements or Biodegradable Forest Waste (Leaves, Grass, Flowers, Fruits, Seeds, Wooden Twigs, Stones, Pebbles, Mud, Wool, etc.) to create different lines, shapes, forms & patterns of art.
Understanding Visual Design Theory: Elements & Principles of Composition.
Watching Film: Rivers and Tides (Andy Goldsworthy)
Activity 2: Craft Making & Installations.
Upcycle Crafts, Mixed Media Craft Products & Spatial Installations
Paper Craft, Origami, Clay Modelling, Pottery, Wood/Stone/Metal/Glass Works, Weaving/Stitching/Embroidery, Herbal Painting & Dyeing Craft
Pioneering Projects (of Scout Movement): the art of using ropes and bamboo (or wooden spars) joined by lashings and knots to create a structures. Pioneering can be used for constructing small items such as camp gadgets up to larger structures such as bridges and towers.
Activity 3: Drawing, Painting & Visual Art Design
Drawing & Painting with different materials on different canvas planes.
(pencil on paper, chalk on floors, mud/lime on walls, herbal colors on fabric, etc.)
Activity 4: Creative Writing, Story Telling + Spontaneous Singing and Sound Compositions.
Memory of Words, Poetry or Paragraph Writing, Art of Recitation & Story Telling.
Sound Explorations: Voice Modulations, Gibberish, Eurhythmics, Rhythm Compositions.
Activity 5: Action, Movements & Performance Art
Explorations of Emotions, Gestures, Actions & Movements, Mirror Exercises, Centering, Balancing, Action Composition, Character Building & Performance Art.
Activity 6: Photo & Film Art
Photo Narratives: Stories & Characters + Light & Shadow Projections + Video Art: Concepts & Stories + Sound Recording & Design.
Learning Software: Coral Draw + Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator & Premiere Pro, etc)
Activity 7: Physical & Cognitive Games.
Basic Physics Movements: Gross Motor & Fine Motor
Cognitive Hunt: Multi Dimensional Space Design, Mind Mapping, Logical Reasoning, Permutation & Combinations. Idea of Numbers, Scale, Weight, Force, Distance, Sequence, Series, Order, Classification, Estimation & Measurement.
Activity 8: Sensory & Therapeutic Plays
Including all sensory modalities (see, smell, taste, hear & touch) – Sensing & Intuition
Activity 9: Adventurous Thrills & Challenges.
To work on Strength, Flexibility, Balance & Endurance.
Awareness Through Body: Yoga, Movement Exercises, Slack lining, Juggling, Fencing, Aerobics, Skating, Hiking, Trekking, Climbing, etc.
Activity 10: Open Sessions & Tours
Environment, Ecology & Biodiversity – Life Science – Culture & Traditions – Spiritual Wisdom – Human Values – Gardening, Natural Farming & Permaculture – Nature Cure – Healthy Cooking & Food Cultures – Natural Medicine, First Aid & Therapeutic Practices – Natural Clothing & Eco-Friendly Product Development – Earth Architecture – Sustainability – Waste Management – Environmentally Sound System & Technology – Geography & Astronomy – Weather & Climates – Gift Economy & Positive Journalism.