Art & Play Activities with Kids at Chirag School
Shilp (Craft) Khel (Game) is an effort to create an encouraging environment and activity spaces for children where they can explore their interest and unique potential as an individual and develop skills to joyously work in collaboration with others.
“The winner sows hatred, the loser suffers. Let go of winning and losing and find joy.” ~ The Buddha Dhammapada
To observe and understand natural abilities of children is more important than to teach or dictate them. They simply need an encouraging as well as an adventurous environment to explore and evolve their inmost being through various ways of learning.
In whatever culture we grow, an appreciable part of our life’s learning has been in childhood through plays, frolicking around, moving around and being engaged in simple games. Later in our lives do subconscious layers of our experience actualize in our being.
The kind of environment we experience in childhood, the kind of stories we hear or the games we play nourish values and special qualities in us. Every activity we do or engage in, blossoms our inner potential, thinking and self understanding.
The purpose of Shilp Khel is to create ample opportunities of learning for kids through various art & play activities.
At all levels (physical, mental, emotional and spiritual); playing inculcates therapeutic effects upon us. Freedom in playing games and creating art helps children to discover their interest, ideas, new skills and develop their overall being.
The purpose of conducting the flexible and open-ended art activities and games is to encourage and appreciate the natural learning abilities of children and to make their learning a joyous discovery.
Children are allowed to loosen up, play freely, share knowledge, exchange ideas and skills and explore their journey in their own way and at their own pace.
The engagement in the process is always more importance than the results.
1. Experiential Learning: Observe – Analyze – Imagine – Organize – Discover – Create – Invent – Evolve – Think – Experience – Express & Reflect.
2. Freedom in Exploration of Ideas, Skills and Knowledge.
3. Growth through all Learning Modalities: Visual (seeing) – Auditory (hearing) – Kinesthetic (moving) – Tactile (touching) at all levels (Physical, Mental, Emotional & Spiritual).
4. To Appreciate their inherent qualities, Interpersonal & Intrapersonal Intelligence.
5. To encourage their Independent Thinking, Self Directed Learning & Leading Abilities. The ability to make their own choices & decisions without any imposition or pressure of others.
To encourage children to delve independently into activities of their choice to explore and understand their own nature, expression, capacity and challenges in the work process.
To encourage children to work with a non- competitive spirit in a group to exchange ideas, learn skills and share knowledge for the growth and progress of all.
- Spontaneous Exercises and Plays: Direct Encounter with life situations.
- Interactions, Storytelling & Conversations with kids in context of learning objectives.
- Introducing Activities & Explaining flexible work processes.
- Experimentation & Creative Challenges: Breaking Steps & Creating new learning patterns.
- Contextual Exposure after initial rounds of their own imaginative exploration.
- Integrated (Multi-layered) Work Processes: Activities within Activities.
- Asking Relevant Questions & synchronizing with their flow of explorations.
- Reflection, Self-Observation & Introspection.
- Self Rating & Remarks: To understand what qualities and strength they have and what improvement they need.
- Active Physical Plays
- Imaginative Plays
- Plays Involving Investigation (Explorations & Discovery)
Activity 1: Nature Art.
Create Patterns, Craft Objects, Forms, Structures or Installations using Natural Elements & Biodegradable Waste.
Activity 2: Craft Making & Installations.
Reduce – Reuse – Recycle Crafts, Mixed Media Crafts Products & Spatial Installation
Origami, Clay Modelling, Pottery, Wood-Metal-Stone Works, Weaving & Dyeing Craft
Pioneering Projects ( of Scout Movement): the art of using ropes and wooden spars joined by lashings and knots to create a structure. Pioneering can be used for constructing small items such as camp gadgets up to larger structures such as bridges and towers.
Activity 3: Visual Art, Photography, Video Art, VR & Animation
Painting, Drafting, Photo Essay & Video Art, Virtual Reality, Audio-Visual Recording, Photoshop, Video Editing, Projection Art etc.
Activity 4: Create (Cognitive & Physical) Games.
Cognitive Hunt (Numeric – Logical – Conceptual), Mind Mapping, Magic tricks
Basic Physics & Mathematics – optics, idea of weight, distance, scale, force, order, division, sequence, series, estimation, measurements, permutation & combinations.
Gross Motor & Fine Motor Skills
Activity 5: Adventurous Thrills, & Challenges.
To work on Strength , Flexibility, Balance & Endurance.
Awareness through Body, Yoga, Capoeira, Slack lining, Juggling, Fencing, Aerobics, Skating, Camping, Climbing, Hiking, Trekking etc.
Activity 6: Sensory & Therapeutic Plays
All sensory modalities (see, smell, taste, hear & touch) – Sensing & Guessing
Activity 7: Creative Writing , Spontaneous Singing and Sound compositions.
Poetry & Song writing, Musical Instruments Creation, Sound Explorations,
Voice Modulations, Gibberish, Karaoke & Medley Compositions
Activity 8: Dance, Movements & Theater Activities
Explorations of Emotions, Gestures & Actions, Character Building, Performance Art, Story Telling, Eurhythmics, People Pyramid, Mirror Exercises, Centering & Balancing.
Activity 9: Open Sessions & Tours
Gardening – Landscaping – Farming – Cooking – Environment – Ecology – Waste Management – Sustainability – Engineering – Applied Technology – Entrepreneurship – Economics – Banking – Business & Accounts – Law – Journalism – Civics – Architecture & Planing – Real Estate – Management – Society & Cultures – Astronomy – Geography – Archaeology – Life Science – First Aid – Natural Medicine & Therapeutic Practices – Research Skills